In a mood of faith and hope my work goes on. A ream of fresh paper lies on my desk waiting for the next book. I am a writer and I take up my pen to write..
~Pearl S. Buck
In improvisation, one of our exercises is a game called “Seven Things,” in which we go around in a circle giving each other the challenge, “Give me seven things that [whatever].” We are not going to go around in a circle here, but if you’re drawn to lists, this prompt is for you.
Give me seven things that inhabit or occupy your writing space. Interpret “writing space” any way you please. You’re not required to explain the items in your list, but it’s more fun for readers if you do.
- My desks – the small oak writer’s desk my parents bought me when I went back to college in 1982 ~for the third and final time! And also the new lap desk my husband ordered for me from Levenger’s a few months ago. Both indispensible…
- My new engraved fountain pen, a Christmas gift from my husband, also from Levenger’s;
- My cozy chair and ottoman, where I can now not only read but write comfortably (thanks to the aforementioned lap desk)…
- My writing sweater, a black jersey cardigan my friend Pat had made for me. The cuffs fold back to reveal stamped phrases (“live your dream,” “make a wish”), the pockets are patchwork, one with coffee cups, the other with brightly colored fish (I’m a Pisces), and one more with music staves flowing across. In the pockets were more treasures…a tiny tablet, reminiscent of something Charlotte Bronte might have used, a cotton lace handerkerchief, and a tiny coin with the word “hope” etched into it;
- Books, piled on the floor, on the desk, on the small bedside table;
- An etching, done by one of my great-great aunts, of a path leading uphill in the moonlight, to a small cottage where smoke curls invitingly from the chimney;
- Two fluffy white dogs, always curled up at my feet, snoring softly as I type.
What are some of the things that adorn your writing space?
Go to Cafe Writing for more fresh writing ideas.
By the way, Write On Wednesday is making a fresh start too.